NOTE: For the most current comparison between Stemma and Amundsen, read How Stemma Upgrades Amundsen
Stemma is inspired by Amundsen, the automated data catalog created at Lyft that’s used by Instacart, Brex, ING, Square, and many more.
Stemma focusses on three main areas of investment, on top of Amundsen:
1. Secure & managed offering with easy administration
- A managed deployment, with SSO integration, security, auditing, backup/restore and much more
- Ability to simply plug in credentials to ingest data - no need to run Python databuilder jobs to ingest metadata
- Admin panel that enables you easily administer your stemma deploy - how many users are using the product, what most used tables are missing documentation, etc.
2. Lower time to value through automation
This is an area of constant investment and evolution for Stemma. Some recent investments here include:
- Automated table and column level lineage through query parsing
- See commonly used with tables, through parsing of query logs
- Bulk editing to apply ownership and other metadata in bulk
- Share descriptions across related columns
- Link related Slack conversations via a Slack bot
- Suggestions on what data to use
3. Focus on adoption and building decentralized, data-informed culture
Stemma team works with you to ensure adoption and success of your data catalog as we have done with dozens of companies. See more details here.